Whether it is to achieve financial freedom, retire, or pay off your student loan – side hustle apps provide us with a great opportunity to make extra money from anywhere.
While they may not make you mega-wealthy, you can definitely pad your account with additional income for that vacation you always wanted.
But the question is, which side hustle app should you use? This article takes you through some great opportunities to make money on the side and why they deserve to be on our list.
Let’s dive in.
15 Best Side Hustle Apps for Making Money
The following apps are easy to use and free to download. However, they have different application processes, which you may want to check before you jump in.
Swagbucks is a safe and legitimate way to earn money without much effort by taking surveys for playing games in your free time. With a trust score of 8.3/10 on Trustpilot, Swagbucks has paid over 266 billion dollars in cash and gift cards since it started.
Primarily a survey site, Swagbucks also has other tasks like:
- Watching videos
- Surfing the web
- Shopping online
So, how does Swagbucks work?
- First, navigate to the Swagbucks website and sign up with them
- On the dashboard, you’ll have a list of tasks you can undertake to earn Swagbucks rewards, also called SB points
- Once you reach a certain amount of SB points, you can exchange them for cash or gift cards
Swagbucks also has a browser extension that provides savings and coupon codes while shopping online.
So if you have a few spare minutes, you may want to log on to Swagbucks for some quick money. And the best part is you get $10 just for signing up.
For a more in-depth analysis of this popular survey site, check out our article which answers the question is Swagbucks legit?
Another of our favorite side hustle apps is InboxDollars, a cash rewards website. Founded in 2000, InboxDollars works similarly to Swagbucks and is also a legitimate way of making money.
With a Trustpilot rating of 4.2/5 and a B+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, InboxDollars has paid over 80 million dollars in cash rewards. Primarily a survey website, InboxDollars also offers other ways to earn money, namely:
- Friends and family referrals
- Online surveys
- Watch videos
- Play games
- Trade in your receipts
- Online shopping
- Read emails
- InboxDollars search
- Scratch and win
InboxDollars also offers a 5-dollar sign-up bonus for every new member. All you have to do is:
- Register with InboxDollars
- Choose one of the several earning opportunities and build credit.
- Once your account reaches $30, you can cash out
A cool thing about this app is its multiple cashout options, such as cash, PayPal cash, or gift cards from major retailers such as
- Google Play
- Dunkin Donuts
- Bath and Body Works
If you’re curious about InboxDollars, check out our article that answers the all-important question: Is InboxDollars Legit?
Another paid survey website that tops our list of best side hustle apps is SurveyJunkie. With more than 12 million members, SurveyJunkie has a TrustPilot score of 4.3 out of 5 and a B rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Filling out surveys is not the only way to earn money on SurveyJunkie. It also offers quite a few options for its members including:
- Online surveys
- Product testing
- Phone surveys
- Share your data with SJ Pulse
- Online focus groups
- In-person focus groups
The earning potential of SurveyJunkie isn’t as much as Swagbucks or InboxDollars, but still impressive compared to other survey sites. Once you accumulate 500 points, you will be able to cash out either as PayPal, cash, bank account, or gift cards from:
- Group on
SurveyJunkie is a great way to earn extra cash, especially if you have some spare time.
Do you have a car? Driving for Uber in your spare time can help you earn extra money on the side. All you need is:
- A clean driver’s license
- Car newer than 1998
- 1 year of driving experience
- Be at least 19 years old
Uber is one of the pioneers in the ride-share and food delivery industry. The best part about driving for Uber is that you can choose your hours at your convenience.
The earning potential is pretty good when it comes to Uber, especially if you live in a major city or airport. You can earn as much as $8 to $12 an hour by driving for Uber.
Alternatively, if you don’t want to shuttle people around, you can choose to deliver food via Uber Eats. The standard price for every order ranges between $.50 to $10, depending on the traffic.
DoorDash is yet another one of our favorite side hustle apps similar to Uber. It is an online food ordering and delivery platform wherein you deliver food from restaurants to customers’ homes.
The base pay for Doordashers varies and ranges between $2-$10 for every order, plus the tips. And if you deliver during rush hour, you are also eligible for promotions which include peak pay and challenges.
Top Tip: A strong positive about DoorDash is that you don’t require a car. A bicycle or a scooter will work just fine.
Do you have an extra room in your home or empty property? Did you know that you can rent it out to Airbnb (short-term or long-term) for some extra money?
According to CNBC, Airbnb hosts make as much as $924 a month on average. However, this income depends on:
- Where are you based
- How frequently do you rent out
- The services you offer
- The facilities on the property
Top Tip: When you first start you’ll also have no reviews – which will put renters off. So counter this by pricing your property at least 20% below your competitors. Then slowly build your price up as you gain positive reviews.
Instacart is a leading grocery delivery service that pays shoppers to shop and deliver the goods to customers’ homes. It is an easy-to-use app for those who love grocery shopping.
With Instacart, you can either be:
- In-store shopper: Just shop and stage the order in-store
- Full-service shopper: Shop and deliver the groceries
Top Tip: Don’t have a car? No problem, you can choose to be an in-store shopper with Instacart. However, full-service shoppers have the freedom to choose their timings.
To qualify for Instacart, you should:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Eligible to work in the US
- Have consistent access to a smartphone
- The ability to lift 50 lbs without assistance
While the earning potential isn’t as high as Postmates, you can expect anything from $15 to $20 per shopping trip.
Running an eCommerce store is an excellent side hustle for those interested in entrepreneurship. And the best app for running an eCommerce store is Shopify.
Shopify is basically an online storefront where you can create your own shop. The best part about Shopify is that it takes care of everything from your payments to shipping and even marketing.
With Shopify, anyone can set up an online store with ease and make money on the side.
On the downside, while you can try Shopify for free, you’ll have to pay to run your online store on the platform. Shopify offers three plans depending on the store options:
- Basic: $1(for the first 3 months and $25 per month thereafter)
- Shopify: $79
- Advanced: $299
Top Tip: Read our in-depth step-by-step guide on how to make on Shopify to learn more about this app.
Have you a knack for crafting? Are you interested in making and selling homemade items? If so, Etsy is right up your alley and can help you earn extra cash.
Etsy is a popular side hustle app where people buy and sell handmade items, including digital products. Based on your interest, there are so many things you can buy and sell on Etsy. With the right product, you can start making money within a few days.
Etsy sellers have been able to make anywhere between $43,000 and $46,000 per year (for a thriving business). Those successful earn hundreds of thousands of dollars every month.
Some top sellers on Etsy and their 30-day sales include:
- CaitlynMinimalist – $117,303
- PersonalizationMall – $68,947
- SilverRainSilver – $52,927
In saying that, like Shopify, Etsy isn’t a get-rich-quick scheme. It takes time and effort to start earning, even as a side hustle.
Launched in 1995, eBay is one of the oldest eCommerce apps and the best side hustle apps around. There’s a huge range of items you sell or buy on eBay.
From your old electronics to video games, furniture and clothing, you can just about sell anything that you want to get rid of on the platform.
However, it’s the collectibles that have cornered the market on eBay, especially vintage toys, watches, and rare coins.
Keep in mind that eBay charges for listing your products on the website. The eCommerce platform offers three store subscription options:
- Starter store: $4.95/month
- Basic store: $21.95/month
- Premium store: $59.95/month
So, you may want to factor that in when you list your items.
Top Tip: To find out more, check out our guide that answers the question “is it worth selling on eBay?” for exactly how to make money with this app.
Do you have unwanted items or used tech lying around? You should try selling them on Decluttr.
Decluttr is a safe and reliable way to sell unwanted items at a great price. It’s one of our favorite side hustle apps to make extra cash, mainly because it makes selling easy.
With Decluttr, you can sell:
- Video games
All you need to do is to scan the product barcodes with the Decluttr mobile app. You’ll receive an instant quote, and if you accept Decluttr’s valuation, it provides you with a prepaid UPS shipping label.
Top Tip: One of the best things about Decluttr is you don’t have to pay for shipping, and once the item is received, your payment will be made to the payment option of your choice.
Postmates is another side hustle app that works similarly to DoorDash and Uber Eats. As a Postmates delivery driver, you can earn extra money on the side by delivering food and groceries to people’s homes.
Don’t have a car? With Postmates, even your bicycle and scooter would work. And you’d be retaining 100% of everything you earn up to $25 an hour.
Furthermore, you can set your own hours, be it an hour or two or whatever is your spare time.
Steady is a free-to-use side-hustle app that is essentially a massive database of side hustle opportunities. Founded in 2017, Steady helps its 5 million members earn extra money via the many side hustle jobs listed on the platform.
With steady, you can pick up any number of gigs:
- Anytime/seasonal work such as food delivery or ride-share driver
- Part-time jobs such as
- Full-time jobs such as
- Work-from-home jobs such as tutor or pet sitter
The earning potential of the Steady app maxes out at $20-25 per hour. And Steady members earn an average of $5,500 or more every year. Of course, the earnings vary depending on the skills, location, and time you put in.
Are you looking to create a passive income stream instead of spending hours on a side hustle?
You should start investing via Robinhood. Robinhood is essentially an investment app, notably suitable for newbies looking for an easy way to invest in cryptocurrency, stocks, bonds, and ETFs.
Top Tip: It’s important to remember that investing is a long journey, so you may not see any results with Robinhood in the short term. The best part is that the minimum investment starts at $1, and better yet, every new investor is gifted with a free stock option.
Above all, it is commission free, so it doesn’t cost you anything to get started.
MyPoints Surveys is another survey app similar to Swagbucks and InboxDollars. So if you’re looking to make more money via survey apps (in addition to the other two), you may also sign up with MyPoints Surveys.
Apart from surveys, there are several ways by which you can earn money on MyPoints Surveys, namely:
- Reading emails
- Printing coupons
- Surfing the web
- Watching ads/videos
- Shopping online
- Playing games
Side Hustle Apps: Some Eye-Opening Statistics
Today’s job market is very different from a decade ago. It is the era of side hustles. As per a Zapier Report, one in three, i.e. 34% of Americans have a side hustle. And 67% of them started side hustles within the past four years or so.
Most millennials are motivated by the prospect of creating a passive income stream. Other financial goals include:
- A diverse income
- Saving toward a specific financial goal
- Saving up for a big-ticket purchase or vacation
While finances seem to be the ulterior motive, it is not the only goal. 38% started side hustles to pursue their passion, while another 28% wanted to acquire new skills.
Trade in Your Receipts for Cash
Don’t toss your receipts next time you shop! Did you know that you can turn them to cash? All you need to do is scan your receipts and redeem them for rewards.
- Fetch Rewards – Scan your grocery receipts and collect points you can later exchange for gift cards.
- Receipt Hog – Upload a photo of your receipt and get cashback directly to your Paypal.
- Receipt Pal – Take a photo of your itemized bill and upload it on Receipt Pal for gift cards (Amazon, Walmart, Visa, and Target).
- Ibotta – Purchase specific items featured in the app and scan your receipt for gift cards.
- Checkout51 – Upload a photo of your receipt and get anywhere between $1 to $3 or even more depending on the product.
Apps for Babysitters
Babysitting apps can be a pretty lucrative side hustle, especially for those who are good with kids. Whether you have experience or are a complete newbie, there’s something for everyone. Above all, it is fun, flexible, and well-paying.
- Urbansitter – Urbansitter is a babysitting app that offers babysitting, nannying, and tutoring services. Since the parents pay a monthly membership fee, the babysitters can set their own rates and keep 100% of their earnings.
- Bambino – Bambino is a free babysitting app that connects babysitters with parents. It offers 4-levels of sitters with varying experience levels.
- Care.com – Care.com offers a wide range of jobs, including childcare, pet care, senior care, tutoring, and many more. However, its hefty price tag can be off-putting.
Our research shows that more than 44% of all households in the US have a dog(s). As such, there are plenty of jobs for pet sitters and dog walkers. Not only can you make your timing, but it also doesn’t require much effort.
- Rover – Rover offers a wide range of services, from dog walking to pet sitting, boarding, and even daycare. It pays the most, and you can expect an average of $1000 per month.
- Wag – Wag is a dog-walking app that offers pet sitting, boarding, and training services. You can make between $13 and $20 per hour depending on the length of the service and the location.
- PetSitter – PetSitter offers dog walking, training, and grooming jobs. Unlike other apps, it is up to you to coordinate with the pet owners for payments.
- Fetch! – Fetch offers a wide range of services, both standard (walking and boarding) and specialty (medical administration and playtime). In addition to dogs, they also have opportunities to care for small caged pets, lizards, and rural livestock.
Mystery shopping is one of the easiest ways to make money on the side just by shopping. It allows you to provide businesses with valuable feedback while earning money on the side.
As per Indeed, the average base salary for mystery shoppers is $22.26 per hour. However, some jobs only provide reimbursement or a free meal.
- Gigspot – Get access to a wide range of mystery shopping jobs at Gigspot. Mystery shoppers can earn anywhere between $10-12 an hour.
- Field Agent – Visit local shops for market research and mystery shopping and earn anywhere between $3 and $20 for every job.
- Mobee – Shop and dine at your favorite places; Give feedback and earn rewards
- Secret Shopper – While not the highest-paying mystery shopping app around, the Secret Shopper app can get you started in the world of market research. Buyers earn an average of $15 to $25 per job.
How to Make Money Using Tutor Apps
Tutoring is another excellent way of making money on the side, especially if you are experienced and have a degree to back you up. The best part about tutoring is that:
- You can set your own hours, working as little or as much as you can.
- You can work from home with a minimal setup.
As per our research, online tutoring pays an average of $15 – $20 per hour.
- VIPKid – With VIPKid, you’d be teaching English to kids in China. However, to qualify, you require two years of work experience and a bachelor’s degree.
- Cambly – Cambly is an easy-to-use side hustle app that requires little to no teaching experience. While it doesn’t pay well at $10.25 an hour, it is a good start.
- iTutorGroup – Teach English to students in Asia with iTutorGroup. Like VIPKid, you need a bachelor’s degree or more and a TESOL/TEFL/TESL certificate. Furthermore, you should be able to commit to working at least 5 hours per week.
Handyman Gig Apps
Do you enjoy working with your hands? Did you know that you can make extra cash by signing up for a handyman gig app?
Not only can you set your own schedule, but you can also choose the services on offer. Above all, you have minimal, if not no startup costs, if you already have the tools.
- Handy – Earn up to $45 an hour by working for Handy. Great pay and a flexible schedule make it an ideal side hustle to make some extra cash without the hassle of finding customers.
- TaskRabbit – A mobile marketplace that matches users with local demand, including handymen work, delivery, furniture, and many more.
- Thumbtack Pro – While it doesn’t pay as much, Thumbtack Pro is a great way of getting started in this industry.
From taking surveys to mystery shopping, tutoring, delivering food, and even grocery shopping, there is no end to side hustle apps available online.
You can even make money online by selling items you don’t use anymore or renting properties you no longer use.
But what are the best side hustle apps to make money? Our money is on Swagbucks, InboxDollars, and Survey Junkie. You can make easy cash by taking online surveys, playing games, watching videos, and surfing the web.
Next: read our 119 Niche Side Hustles to Help You Create New Income Streams